Friday, September 5, 2008

He Did It!


I have been struggling to potty train Spencer for quite some time now. I will admit that I haven't been extremely consistent, but it is really hard when he fights me on it. He has gone several times in the big potty, but only when I force him on it. He cries every time I place him on the big potty. And then after he goes, he says, through his tears, "I did it!". I was using a seat that just sits on the actual toilet, since that is what I used with David. It took months of crying and fighting for me to realize that he is probably intimidated by the big toilet. (yes, I am that dense) So yesterday, we went to Babies R Us and let Spencer pick out his very own little potty. He chose the Elmo potty chair and he even paid for it himself at the register. He was so excited to give the lady the money and get back some coins. It was too late when we got home last night to let him try it out, so today when I got home from work, I put big boy underwear on him. After we put them on, he smiled and said, "They don't hurt.". Then he ran to Chad and said, "Daddy I am just like you!". I reminded him to potty on his chair and then let him play. (trying to keep him on the tile and off the furniture) He had one accident, but after that he pottied twice in his chair! He was so stunned at first, then he looked up at me and put his little hands in the air and said, (without tears this time) "I did it! I'm a big boy!" I let him call everyone and tell them his good news and then he danced around the house singing, "I did it, I did it". I cried. I was so proud of him and was so excited to see how proud he was of himself, I just started crying. (that isn't uncommon when it comes to my kids. Chad laughs at me all the time for it) It was happy crying, I didn't want to scare him that mommy was upset. But he kept telling me he was so happy and that I was so happy. So I guess he knew I was happy. David was having a little bit of a hard time with Spencer's attention he was getting, it was a little funny. He tends to get jealous of the attention Spencer gets when he hits each milestone. I told him tomorrow was going to be about him since it is his first soccer game of the season. (expect that blog tomorrow) He looked at me and said, "okay! But that means Spencer has to stay home!" They both just make me laugh, so often. They are such amazing little guys and Chad and I are so blessed to be their parents. I am so proud of them both!!

2 comments:

motivated said...

Should I mention what a sap I think you are for crying- wait, you already know that. :) Well, if anyone can make his mom cry over peeing, it'd be Spencer. What a cutie. :)

Jessica B Photography said...

Aren't you so lucky?!?!? No more diapers!!! No more stinky giant toddler poos!!!